Friday, June 6, 2014

Monsters in Hawaii!

With all the activity these past 3 weeks, we had one technical issue (with Azure) that I'll describe in another post, and one non-technical issue.  The non-technical was that someone  in Hawaii posted a one-star review on the Play store, saying they installed the app, saw no monsters, then uninstalled.  Its true, I never generated any monsters in Hawaii.  The reason I never generated any there is because I had to do separate boundaries and generating for that area, and I wasn't sure the small area and population were worth it.  I told Kathleen this, and she said she'd sent emails to geocachers in Hawaii too.

So I quickly started generating monsters in Hawaii.  Using my new monster viewer, I could see the ones I was generating.  Of course, I'm bounding the islands with rectangles, so many are ending up in the water.  And many more end up in huge areas of forest, since that's what most of Hawaii is.  I started focusing on Honolulu then.  My initial numbers weren't making as many there as I hoped so I kept increasing it.  After a couple hours of testing and generating, I had the islands pretty well covered.  I then replied to the one-star review with:

"We are sorry for the inconvenience. You are correct that monsters had not made their way to Hawaii...until now! Now there are thousands of monsters all over the islands, so we hope you will try the app again, catch many monsters, and reconsider your rating. No need to re-register, the account you had made before will still work. Thank you!"

No adjustment to the review yet though.  But I also emailed all users in the database with home state of Hawaii to apologize and tell them the monsters were there now.  The good news is someone found one the next day and posted a message on the Facebook page!  That was good to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment